NSW reports 6,324 cases and three deaths, Victoria 1,999 cases and three deaths, 784 in Queensland, 189 in ACT and 35 in Tasmania
- Omicron: bleak new year or beginning of the end for the pandemic?
- See all our coronavirus coverage
- Follow the live blog for the latest updates
- Vaccine rollout and rates tracker; Cases and data tracker
- Get our free news app; get our morning email briefing
New South Wales has recorded its first death linked to the Omicron variant amid a surge of Covid cases that has led to the number of people hospitalised across the state doubling in the past week.
On Monday it was revealed that a further 995 people were mistakenly sent negative test results by Sydney’s St Vincent’s hospital before their true result had been determined.
Read the original article at The Guardian