Kerry Chant says NSW ‘well placed’ as Covid hospitalisations rise to 1,204; NSW records 20,794 new cases and Victoria 8,577, with seven deaths across both states; Queensland reports 4,249 cases, South Australia 2,552, ACT 514 and Tasmania 466; Martin Foley says states support free RATs. Follow all the day’s news
- Scott Morrison resists calls to provide free rapid Covid tests to Australians
- ‘All of us are going to be exposed’ to Omicron, Queensland chief health officer warns
- Britain got it wrong on Covid: long lockdown did more harm than good, scientist says
- What are the new rules on Covid isolation, close contacts and testing?
- Vaccine rollout tracker; cases and data tracker
- Download the free Guardian app; get our morning email briefing
Researchers in Antarctica are dealing with an outbreak of coronavirus despite being based in one of the world’s most remote regions.
Since 16 December at least 16 of the 25 polar researchers based at Belgium’s Princess Elisabeth Polar Station are now infected with the virus.
Read the original article at The Guardian