Airport staff shortages cause baggage issues; Victoria shoots for Good Friday appeal record; more aged care deaths in 2022 than first two pandemic years combined; campaign trail ‘truce’ for Easter weekend; NSW records 16 Covid deaths, Victoria records seven deaths; Queensland records two deaths; first election debate confirmed for 20 April. Follow all today’s news
- Australia on alert after new Omicron XE Covid variant found in NSW
- ‘Massive policy failure’: retired judges blast Morrison’s broken promise on federal Icac
- Jack Newton: Australian golfing great who lost arm to plane’s propeller dies aged 72
- Read Guardian Australia’s full federal election coverage
- Get our free news app; get our morning email briefing
NSW has recorded 16 Covid deaths and more than 15,000 cases.
Queues are so far moving faster than expected at major airports, after a week of huge delays. There were some concerns about another chaotic day at the airport on Good Friday. About 80,000 passengers were due to travel through Sydney airport alone.
Queues are moving well at Sydney airport even as hundreds of people fill the country’s busiest airport as they head out for Easter holidays.
Airports around the country will remain busy over the break and school holiday period.
Read the original article at The Guardian