- Pfizer vaccine second dose has ‘sweet spot’ after eight weeks
- Fears for Indonesia provinces as Delta variant spreads out of Java
- New Zealand shuts Australia travel bubble as Sydney outbreak worsens
- UK coronavirus updates – live
- Tokyo Olympics live blog – live
Cases of Covid-19 have increased in Sweden’s main cities and the more contagious Delta has emerged as the dominant variant in the country, health authorities said on Friday, though it added infection levels nationally remained low.
Sweden reported 1,855 new cases of Covid-19 last week, a 24% increase compared to the previous week. Around a quarter of new cases were linked to travel abroad, the heath authority said.
The number of cases nationally of Covid-19 continues to be at a low level, but an increase is seen in all metropolitan regions.
Workers in critical roles in Scotland will be able to avoid self-isolation when notified by the NHS Covid app if they are fully vaccinated and are tested daily, Nicola Sturgeon has announced.
Scotland’s first minister said it was “essential that lifeline services and critical national infrastructure are maintained” and that the changes would ensure staff shortages do not put key services at risk.
Read the original article at The Guardian