- Stark silence in Tokyo speaks volumes about Olympic fears
- China refuses further inquiry into Covid-19 origins in Wuhan lab
- Tax raids target Indian paper that criticised government over Covid
- Australia PM says sorry for vaccine failures amid Sydney lockdown
- UK coronavirus updates – live
Public anger at government measures to curb the spread of Covid, which some people say are an attack on their liberty, has given the Yellow Vest protest movement fresh momentum, Reuters reports.
Last weekend, police estimated that 100,000 people joined protests against the measures – some of them under the banner of the Yellow Vests. Another round of protests is planned for this weekend.
Peruvian police have dismantled an alleged criminal ring that had charged as much $21,000 per bed for seriously ill Covid-19 patients in a state-run hospital, aggravating care in a country hit by one of the world’s deadliest outbreaks of the virus.
Authorities arrested nine people in an early morning raid on Wednesday, including the administrators of Lima’s Guillermo Almenara Irigoyen public hospital, according to the prosecutor Reynaldo Abia, Reuters reports.
Read the original article at The Guardian