India adds 1m new cases in just four days; more than 80% of Americans over 65 will have had first dose by Thursday; Pfizer confirms fake vaccine shots being sold in Mexico
- ‘The system has collapsed’: India’s descent into Covid hell
- India’s response to second wave is warning to other countries
- US hits goal of 200m vaccine doses within 100 days
- Inspection finds peeling walls at US plant that ruined 15m J & J doses
- See all our coronavirus coverage
India’s media has reacted with understandable despair at the devastating new wave of the virus sweeping the country.
The Hindustan Times, a large English-speaking daily, said “World’s worst outbreak” on its front as the country racked up a new global record for new daily cases of almost 315,000 on Wednesday.
Hello and welcome to our live coverage of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, with me, Alison Rourke.
India has set a world record of new cases, with 314,835 being recorded on Wednesday. It surpasses the previous record of just over 300,000 set by the US in January. It comes as fears mount over oxygen supplies and hospital beds in some areas of India, as the surge of cases puts enormous pressure on the health system.
Read the original article at The Guardian