Trump hails start of immunisation programme; Italy overtakes UK for Europe’s highest death toll; Germany expected to close shops before Christmas
- How Covid revealed the truth about our world
- FDA chief urged by White House to approve Pfizer vaccine ‘or quit’
- Scientists warn against Christmas gatherings in UK
- California’s ICU beds near capacity as hospitalizations hit record
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Pfizer has said that the first Covid-19 vaccine supplies are being prepared to ship from the company’s Kalamazoo, Michigan site.
They will be distributed by the US Department of Defense in partnership with agencies within the Department of Health and Human Services to government-designated facilities across the country, Pfizer said on Saturday night US time.
Opponents of lockdown measures have regularly protested in German cities over curbs. On Saturday, police in Frankfurt and Dresden were dressed in riot gear and armed with water cannon to enforce a ban on such demonstrations.
Economy Minister Peter Altmaier told the RND newspaper group on Saturday that hospital intensive care units were beginning to be stretched to their limits and that Germany could not wait until after Christmas to react.
Read the original article at The Guardian