- Migration and Covid deaths depriving poorest nations of health workers
- Thai police fire rubber bullets at protesters as Covid failures fuel anger
- Are enough people vaccinated in time for England’s ‘freedom day’?
- UK Covid – latest updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Daily coronavirus cases in Northern Ireland have exceeded 1,700 for the first time since January, reports PA.
Case numbers have been growing rapidly in recent weeks as the Delta variant became dominant.
Globally, women have been hardest hit by pandemic job losses and only men’s employment is likely to return to 2019 levels this year, the International Labour Organisation said today.
The UN agency said that women have been at greater risk of job cuts and reduced hours as a result of coronavirus restrictions – particularly in the accommodation, food services and manufacturing sectors – Reuters reports.
Even though the projected jobs growth in 2021 for women exceeds that of men, it will, nonetheless, be insufficient to bring women back to pre-pandemic employment levels.
Read the original article at The Guardian