Coronavirus R number falls below 1 in UK; Cuomo faces calls to resign amid allegations of hiding nursing home deaths; High-risk groups missed off UK’s vaccine priority list. Follow the latest updates live
- Johnson ‘optimistic’ about easing some England lockdown measures
- Matt Hancock hopes Covid will become treatable disease by end of 2021
- Children as young as six to be tested for Oxford vaccine efficacy
- A very dangerous epoch’: historians try to make sense of Covid
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Clashes broke out between police and activists in Cyprus on Saturday during a protest against corruption and lockdown measures.
Police used water cannon and tear gas in an attempt to break up the gathering of several hundred people just beyond the medieval walls in Nicosia, the capital of the east Mediterranean island, Reuters witnesses said.
At least one person who said he was struck on the head by police was taken to hospital.
The Philippines reported 12 new deaths and 1,960 new infections on Saturday, the Department of Health announced, taking the country’s overall tally to 547,000 infections and 11,507 fatalities.
The agency’s case bulletin showed a total of 547,255 with 6.4% or 34,967 active or currently ill patients. At least 86.3% of the active patients have mild symptoms, 8.7% do not have symptoms, 2.3% are in critical condition, 2.2% are severe cases and 0.64% are in moderate condition, CNN Philippines reports.
Read the original article at The Guardian