Health officials in South Africa say its fourth wave has passed after a dip in infections; Britain is in a better position in the fight against Covid than it was at the end of 2020, Boris Johnson says
- South Africa says Omicron-fuelled fourth Covid wave has passed
- UK PM Boris Johnson says UK doing ‘incomparably better’ against Covid
- Germany, Italy and Portugal to relax isolation, Spain to cut quarantine
- Omicron havoc for airlines as JetBlue cancels almost 1,300 flights
- Covid booster jab offered to all adults in England, says government
- See all our coronavirus coverage
South Korea said on Friday it will extend stricter social distancing rules for two weeks amid a persistent surge in serious coronavirus infections and concerns over the spread of the Omicron variant.
The government reinstated the curbs on 18 December, six weeks after easing them under a “living with Covid-19” scheme, as record-breaking numbers of new infections and serious cases put a huge strain on the country’s medical system.
Read the original article at The Guardian