Gladys Berejiklian says six cases outside the Avalon cluster are causing most concern and Victoria announces cases in Mentone, Hallam and Mitcham
- Follow our Covid live blog
- NSW hotspots list
- Sydney New Year’s Eve: what are the restrictions on celebrating?
New South Wales recorded 18 new cases of locally acquired Covid-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm Tuesday including cases across greater Sydney, triggering the premier, Gladys Berejiklian, to announce a range of new restrictions on New Year’s events, while Victoria’s 61 day run of no new cases was broken on Wednesday evening with new three cases announced.
Of the new NSW cases, just half were linked to the northern beaches Avalon cluster. Eight of these people were already isolating. But Berejiklian said of particular concern were six cases outside of the known northern beaches cluster. Three adults and three children, all members of the same extended family, were part of a new cluster in Croydon, in Sydney’s inner west, and the premier said it was not clear how the family became infected. So far 34 close contacts of those cases had been identified.
Read the original article at The Guardian