- Instruct the individual to sanitize hands and offer a facemask or cloth face covering (if not already wearing one and there are no contraindications)
- Check and record temperature on interview form or electronic record
- Add date, location, and other details to interview form
- Hand consent and interview form to participant
- Collect signed consent forms
- Enter first and last name (with spelling), date of birth, and contact phone number or email address onto documents and/or electronic record
- Write date, first and last name, date of birth, specimen type (e.g., NP, NS, OP) on label
- Attach sticker label to the specimen collection vial
- Hand bag with specimen vial to participant and direct participant to interview station
- Clean and disinfect clipboards and pens between participants
- Complete the form or electronic record with the participant following the script
- Keep the form and direct the participant to testing station
- Clean and disinfect participant side of table following each interview
- Stand just outside the testing station.
- Receive bag with vial from participant; verify name and date of birth.
- Remove specimen transport bag and hand vial and swab to snipper.
- After specimen has been collected, hold specimen transport bag open for snipper to drop vial into the bag, ensuring the vial touches only the inside of the bag.
- Holding the outside of the bag, double check that the vial is closed tightly
- Seal the bag, removing as much excess air as possible
• Store vial and bag in cooler with frozen ice packs
- Note: Specimens should be transferred from small coolers to refrigeration unit frequently to maintain temperature control
(after every participant, remove gloves, sanitize hands, and apply new gloves)
- Hand tissue to participant and instruct them to blow their nose and deposit in biohazard (red) waste
- Provide instructions and explain testing procedure
- Take swab from snipper and collect specimen
- Insert swab with specimen into vial
- Instruct participant to sanitize hands and check out
(if using a breakable swab, then 2-person teams are sufficient, i.e., combine snipper and swabber roles)
(after every 4-5 participants, remove gloves, sanitize hands, and apply new gloves)
- Take vial and swab from bagger and hand swab to swabber.
- Cut swab after specimen has been collected
- Replace the vial lid and ensure lid is sealed tightly
- Drop vial into specimen transport bag held open by bagger
- Clean scissors with alcohol wipe, leave scissor blades open to air dry
- Clean space between tests
- Periodic collection of bagged specimens from testing stations to on-site refrigeration if available or larger cooler. Temperature control should be monitored.
- Provide instructions on follow-up and how to get results
Read the original article at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)