Fears for Fairfield, Liverpool and Canterbury Bankstown residents, while shutdown of construction sector expected to cost $800m to $1bn per week
- Follow our coronavirus live blog
- Scott Morrison urges Apec leaders to ramp up mRNA vaccine production and boasts of Australian economy
- New Sydney Covid lockdown restrictions: latest update to NSW coronavirus rules explained
- Vic hotspots; Vic restrictions; NSW hotspots; NSW restrictions
- Vaccine rollout tracker; get our free news app; get our morning email
Lockdown restrictions in Greater Sydney will be drastically tightened after the New South Wales premier, Gladys Berejiklian, conceded measures introduced three weeks ago were failing to stop an outbreak of more than 1,000 cases.
Berejiklian made the changes after repeatedly denying in the past week that there was any need to harden restrictions, saying people could use their “common sense” to decide whether they were an essential workplace that had to stay open.
Read the original article at The Guardian