Latest updates: one in six areas in England are now reporting their highest rate of new Covid-19 cases since comparable records began last summer
- Starmer condemns ‘reckless’ decision to lift restrictions in England
- PM’s failure to start Covid inquiry this year a disgrace, says Sage adviser
- Vulnerable UK children to be offered Covid jabs first, minister says
- Are enough people vaccinated in time for England’s ‘freedom day’?
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
Britain’s restrictions on travellers from France seem “excessive”, the French European affairs minister has said as France attempts to contain rising Covid cases – which stand at less than a third of the daily reported cases in the UK. My colleague Angelique Chrisafis has the story here.
Here are the main lines from the Downing Street lobby briefing.
Have I missed something? Johnson was told he was a close contact on Friday? It wasn’t till Sunday at Downing St that he announced he was starting the pilot scheme? And then he was driven to chequers, thereby not self isolating at all? Hasn’t he broken the law several times over?
The health secretary took his test on Saturday, so the correct process has been followed. Once contacted by NHS Test and Trace over the weekend, [the PM] has isolated and has not travelled subsequently because he did not want to travel across the country.
In space of 30 mins at lobby, PM’s official spox says:
– PM arrived in Chequers “at start of week”
– he travelled there “on Friday morning”
– he travelled at 3pm on Friday afternoon
Hard to escape feeling somebody not being entirely straight here.
Read the original article at The Guardian