Latest updates: former education recovery commissioner criticises government’s response to Covid learning loss
- Whitty may get police protection as PM condemns ‘despicable harassment’
- Business leaders get ‘significant economic benefit’ exemption from quarantine
- Ministers set to end automatic isolation for pupils in England
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The number of pupils absent from schools in England for Covid-related reasons is up by 136,000 in the space of a week, following a 66% increase in the number of children at state schools with confirmed cases of Covid-19.
According to official data from the Department for Education, 15,000 pupils had confirmed cases on 24 June last week, compared with just 9,000 the week before. The number off with suspected cases has also risen, from 16,000 to 24,000.
Jersey has agreed to extend a transitional fishing agreement with the EU to allow some boats from France to continue operating in its waters for another three months after a deadline that was due to expire on Wednesday.
The decision will allow talks over future licensing conditions, which last month sparked a full-scale dispute in which about 60 French fishing boats blockaded St Helier port and Britain and France dispatched patrol vessels, to continue.
Read the original article at The Guardian