Coronavirus Latest News

UK coronavirus live: Britain marks VE Day anniversary under lockdown

Government scientific advisers are furious at what they see as an attempt to censor their advice on government proposals during the Covid-19 lockdown by heavily redacting an official report before it was released to the public, the Guardian can reveal.

The report was one of a series of documents published by the Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies (Sage) this week to mollify growing criticism about the lack of transparency over the advice given to ministers responding to the coronavirus.

However large blocks of text in the report, produced by SPI-B, the Sage subcommittee providing advice from behavioural scientists on how the public might respond to lockdown measures, were entirely blanked out.

Several SPI–B members told the Guardian that the redacted portions of the document contained criticisms they had made of potential government policies they had been formally asked to consider in late March and early April.

In the next hour or so, the first minister of Wales, Mark Drakeford will reveal the next stage of the Welsh government’s lockdown plans. A press conference is due to start at 12.30pm.

Earlier this week he suggested that schools in Wales could reopen at the beginning of June.

“Our advice from the trade unions and from the local education authorities is that you will need three weeks as a minimum from the point that we decide to do that, to when schools can reopen, so we are talking about the beginning of June,” he told the BBC.

At 1.30pm the Scottish government is due to give its daily briefing. On Thursday, Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, ruled out any significant lifting of the lockdown.

She also warned that changing the stay at home message would be a “catastrophic” mistake.

Scottish Government
(@scotgov)

“We have concluded that the lockdown – and the associated regulations – must remain in place for now.”

Today FM @NicolaSturgeon announced that the lockdown measures put in place to prevent the spread of #coronavirus will continue for now, but may be reviewed at any time. pic.twitter.com/sukGgHzlR6

May 7, 2020

Here’s a summary of the main developments so far today:

UK coronavirus lockdown tested as bank holiday starts

The lockdown is facing a major test from the long VE Day bank holiday weekend of warm weather. There are concerns about mixed messaging before Boris Johnson’s announcement on easing restrictions. The foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, said “any changes in the short term will be modest, small, incremental” before the prime minister’s address to the nation on Sunday evening.

UK lockdown changes will be ‘small and incremental’ says Raab – video

Rail services set to increase

Transport sources have revealed plans for a gradual easing of the lockdown from 18 May. The Department for Transport confirmed a “range of options” were being considered. Union leaders stressed they wanted to make sure their members’ safety was protected, with one saying lifting the lockdown was “fraught with danger”.

Nine Chelsea pensioners have died from Covid-19

The Royal Hospital Chelsea, the retirement home for British military veterans, which has 290 residents, made the announcement before VE Day on Friday. Five of the deaths occurred in the home, and four died while receiving hospital treatment elsewhere. A total of 58 of its residents, known as Chelsea pensioners, have recovered from the disease.

Javid says the economy should be run hot

The former chancellor Sajid Javid urged the government to go “far and as quick” to help the economy recover from the impact of coronavirus. Javid, who left his post in Boris Johnson’s government in February, said scientific advice needed to be acted upon, but the best course of action was “running the economy hot”. The Bank of England warned that Covid-19 could lead to the economy plunging 14% this year, in the worst annual fall since records began.

Global death toll nears 270,000

The total number of coronavirus deaths across the world has reached at least 268,999, according to Johns Hopkins University, which has tracked the spread of the virus. There are 3,846,949 confirmed cases.

WHO study: 190,000 people in Africa could die from virus

Up to 190,000 people in Africa could die of Covid-19 during the first year of the pandemic if containment measures fail, according to a study by the World Health Organization (WHO) based on prediction modelling and analysing 47 countries in the region. The organisation also warned that the virus could “smoulder” on the continent for years.

Read the original article at The Guardian

Related Articles

Back to top button